The gradual evolution from spring mattresses to memory foam has been a boon for the industry, but is historically tough on wallets. Now however, Dreamfoam Bedding seems intent on getting a high-quality memory foam mattress delivered to anyone with an Amazon account and a desire for a bargain. The Ultimate Dreams 13″ Gel Mattress somehow manages to pack in the features and quality of top brands at a fraction of the price.
Manufactured at Dreamfoam’s small family-owned business in Arizona, this mattress represents a perfect entry point for new, memory foam adopters while also making a tempting purchase for anyone familiar with the market.
Product Features and Specifications
Materials: Three-layer construction of CertiPUR-US Foam – 8″ of premium base foam, 2″ of 5lb memory foam, and 3″ of gel-infused 4lb memory foam – for ascending levels of support
Sizes: Queen Size measures 80 inches by 60 inches and weighs 107 pounds when shipped.
Thickness: 13-inch depth with that tri-layer design for maximum conformity to any shape
Comfort: This is a *soft* mattress for those sleepers looking for the “sleeping on a cloud” experience, with the gel-infused top layer working to maintain an even temperature for a more comfortable night’s sleep.
Durability: Made completely in the USA, this product carries a 20 year manufacturer’s warranty covering defects and any unexpected issues that might pop up.
Safety: The CertiPUR-US Certification means that the mattress has been rigorously tested for ozone depleters, chlorofluorocarbons, and heavy metals in the manufacturing process. As any foam mattress requires time to “inflate” after shipping, this certification goes a long way towards avoiding the unpleasant out-gassing of chemical odors that other brands often experience.
Weight Limit: As is often the case with foam mattresses, there is not a strict weight limit available. However, people with larger frames have reported success with the mattress, with the only requirement being a preference for a soft mattress over firm support.
Pros and Cons
- The three-layer construction provides increasing levels of firmness as you go down. The gel-infused top layer provides a temperature-controlled top layer to avoid the common issue of overheating some experience with memory foam mattresses. The layer of 2″ 5lb foam underneath provides a more supportive bit of contouring before the 8″ of premium foam at the base takes over the heavy lifting of suppporting your weight. Each successive layer perfectly builds on the support of the one preceding it, with a knitted cover topping it all off. The result is a deeply soft mattress perfect for back and side sleepers.
- The Ultimate Dreams’ CertiPUR certification ensures a durable, safe mattress built to last, and the 20 year warranty indicates a level of confidence and customer service that should support you as well as the layers of foam do.
- The price is legitimately exciting for what you get. DreamFoam has managed to pack high-end manufacturing into an Amazon-exclusive that avoids all the overhead of mattress outlets to deliver a simple, elegantly-designed product right to your door.
- It’s incredibly soft. If you sleep on your stomach, you’ll likely want to find a firmer option, rather than face the uncomfortable compression you’ll feel on your lower-back as you sink into this mattress.
- Temperature regulation for foam memory mattresses is still a problem, due to frustratingly-unavoidable laws of physics. The gel layer does great work mitigating this, but if you run hot, you could run into trouble in the middle of the night.
- If you’re coming from the world of spring mattresses, you might be concerned that you’ve lost the option to flip the mattress if it feels out of balance. The layered construction means there is definitely a “this way up” arrow implied in the product. However, rotating is the new “flip,” and should address any balance problems quickly and painlessly.
Given the wealth of reviews on Amazon, this mattress is overwhelmingly well-received by the people who have bought it. Men and women of all sizes report dramatic differences in the quality of their sleep in comparison to their old mattresses. And veterans of foam mattresses generally seem to agree that it compares very favorably to the more expensive options available from TempurPedic and the like. There were extra notes about the need to allow expansion once it’s been unpacked, but many report that the time needed for expansion is as little as 30 minutes.
Temperature was reported as “neutral,” and although some users seem to want a mattress that’s naturally cooler to the touch, it was routinely noted that any shifts in the night from body heat were well below any threshold for discomfort.
Each customer was careful to note the mattress’s softness as a warning to anyone in search of a firmer product, so that’s been passed along one more time here.
The gradual adoption of memory foam has been interesting to observe. From the first chunks chopped off into pillows, to the kind of multi-layer, multi-density options represented here, the only constant has been a fairly-intimidating price point. It’s one thing to commit to a new sleeping experience entirely, but when the cost soars above the familiar, it’s hard to make the jump.
Dreamfoam’s Ultimate Dreams 13″ Gel Memory Foam Mattress manages to encompass most every advancement you could want from a modern memory foam mattress, at a price that strains credulity. If your dreams for the future include “sleeping on a cloud,” this is one of the best options science and commerce has concocted. You’ll sink into perfectly-conformed support in a way that still makes new users lose sleep. Comfort and support have always come at a cost, and this mattress is an easy recommendation for anyone hoping to maximize their dollar/snore ratio.