It’s been estimated that we humans spend one third of our lives in bed, give or take. That’s an astounding number when you consider that the average citizen of a country like the U.S. or Great Britain lives to be 75 or 80 years old, and that the goal line of human life expectancy is only moving forward. With that in mind, it’s shocking how little thought most people give to the selection of a quality mattress. After all, if you’re going to be spending some 25 years atop one of these things, shouldn’t it be comfortable, and of good quality? Shouldn’t it be a mattress that won’t break down after two weeks of normal use (let alone use by pets or jump-happy kids)? Of course it should! Yet for all the common sense in these arguments, mattresses are barely a blip on the radar of our minds. Maybe it’s because we’d rather be awake than asleep, or perhaps it’s because they’re one of those things we only realize we need when we don’t have them, like medicine or jumper cables. Whatever the case might be, it’s about time we started paying more attention and taking better care of ourselves in this regard, which is why today, we’re going to take a look at the Sleep Master Ultima 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Mattress. We’ll review it, and by the time we’re done, you’ll know everything you need to know in order to decide if this is the mattress for you. Sound good? Great! Let’s begin.
Product Features and Specifications
Materials: The Sleep Master Ultima 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Mattress is comprised of several layers and types of materials. From the top down, these include a Euro box top, a middle layer formed from a combination of and two types of independently-certified foam products (half an inch of pressure-relieving foam + one-half inch of high-density “comfort foam”), and finally, a base of proprietary seven and one-half inch iCoil in-sheath springs. The mattress itself is wrapped in a foam / fiber Jacquard cover.
Sizes: This particular mattress is a 13-inch Queen model measuring 80 x 60 x 13 inches and weighing 98 lbs. The mattress layer (excluding the spring base) measures five inches in thickness. Variations of the model come in several sizes. In addition to the 13-inch Queen model reviewed here, purchase options include Full and King-sized models in thicknesses of eight, 10, or 12-inch varieties, each with their own specific weights and dimensions.
Comfort: The Sleep Master Ultima 13 Inch Mattress is nothing if not comfortable. Double-foam technology makes sleeping on this mattress seem like sleeping on a cloud, and the pocketed spring base, which helps to minimize the transfer of energy from in-bed motion, only enhances that experience (this is especially true of tandem sleeping).
Durability: This mattress has been independently tested for durability by CertiPUR-US (the same certifying body which rates the integrity of its foam layers). A limited 10-year warranty* is offered by way of a guarantee of these standards.
Safety: CertiPUR-US has rated and certified the Sleep Master Ultima 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Mattress as safe for use in the home when used as intended by the recipient under normal conditions.
Weight Limit: It should be pointed out that no standard / official weight limit has been established for the 13-inch Queen Sleep Master Ultima. However, single users of 200-plus pounds have routinely left positive reviews of the product; couples weighing in excess of 450 lbs. have expressed similar degrees of satisfaction.
Pros and Cons
This mattress has quite a lot going for it. You can take a look at some of the more salient points below.
- The proprietary in-sheath springs and memory foam layers make this mattress a very solid, very comfortable sleeping platform.
- The Sleep Master Ultima doesn’t just come in the 13 inch Queen-sized variety reviewed here, but in a bevy of other size and thickness choices, each designed to fit the user’s unique circumstances.
- The shipping method used by Zinus / Sleep Revolution, Inc. (the producer of these matresses) is a patented compression delivery system that makes transport, unpacking, and set-up super easy.
- Due to its enhanced solidity, this mattress is capable of supporting users of significant mass – there was a couple and their dog, for example, who were all recently reported to be happy and well-rested thanks to their use of this mattress. Their combined weight? In excess of 450 lbs.
- The mattress is very firm, so even though you’ll be comfortable the whole night through, there’s no quicksand effect or need to dig your way free each morning.
- A warranty is included with the purchase of each Sleep Master Ultima 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Mattress.
No tool, piece of technology, or invention has yet been produced that is without its own set of flaws. The mattress reviewed here continues this dubious tradition; for those interested in exploring its shortcomings, a list can be found below.
- There have been reports of crushing during the packing / shipping process, i.e. a flattening out of the mattress which chiefly affects the memory foam layer and which can take days or even weeks to fully resolve.
- In a similar vein, there have been reports of a quite strong, quite unpleasant smell emanating from the shipping container and / or the mattress itself upon delivery. This smell is of an unknown origin and will only dissipate with time – again, days or weeks.
- Some users have reported various wear-based phenomena, including cratering / sagging, a wearing down of the central foam layer (and indeed, an ability to feel the springs around the edges of the mattress even during your first night’s sleep), and more. Rotation seems to help for a while, but reports indicate that once you’ve had the mattress for a year or so, the mattress becomes rather dilapidated.
- Some users claim that the foam used in this mattress is not proper memory foam.
- Warranty information is confusing and some users claim redemption can be a challenge.
- There will be some user assembly required.
Customer opinions are the best source of information any prospective buyer can mine when making a decision about their own purchases. When it comes to the Sleep Master Ultima 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Mattress, the views expressed by past purchasers are mixed. Indeed, they’re almost polar opposites. You won’t find any middling opinions here; rather, the fervor found in the buy / avoid camps is the sort you normally only see at a political rally or a sporting event.
Many customers, for example, were just as enamored by the appearance of this mattress as by its actual functionality. The fact that “the pictures don’t do it justice” is, it would seem, just as important as the fact that another reviewer felt like (s)he was “sleeping on a million dollars”. On the opposite end of the spectrum, one customer found their own mattress to be “garbage”; another lamented that theirs was “terrible after one year”.
One interesting point that should be mentioned is that no one, whichever side they happen to fall on, complained about the price of the Sleep Master. It was mentioned, of course, but of the easily accessible reviews (which is to say, those reviews which are recent enough to still be relevant to our discussion), no one balked at the price point.
When you consider that 33 percent of your life will be spent asleep, it pays to be wide awake and attentive on mattress buying day. Things like this are innately personal, but if you want a solid, comfortable sleeping platform that won’t cost you an arm and a leg even if something should break or you decide to return it, you should give the Sleep Master Ultima 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Mattress a try.