According to several studies, 63% of people sleep lying on their side. Even with more than half the population as side-sleepers, a good deal of them are still sleeping on a mattress that doesn’t provide the right kind of support their body needs to sleep comfortably and keep their spine aligned appropriately. Sleep Innovations’ Shea 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress rectifies this problems with their two-type-layered memory foam material that provides the support a side-sleeper’s body needs and the comfort we all look for in a bed.
Product Features and Specifications
Materials: This mattress is made with DuoComfort Design which utilizes an open cell construction. The open cell construction allows for a more breathable design. This design allows for more air to circulate through the mattress, thus keeping it cooler. The warming of the mattress is often a complaint when it comes to memory foam mattresses, so with the open cell design this becomes a non-issue.
Sizes: The unfolded product measures 60-inches wide by 80-inches long with the 10-inch density thickness. This is the equivalent to a regular queen-sized mattress. When unfolded and completely decompress, the mattress weighs a total of 84 pounds.
Thickness: This mattress is divided into two densities: a top layer and a bottom layer. These two layers are made from two different types of memory foam. The top layer is 3-inches thick and made from a Classic Comfort SureTemp Memory Foam (the open cell design). The bottom layer is made from Deeper Support, Support-Plus Foam and is 7-inches thick.
Comfort: This mattress is rated to be at medium firmness. It has been proven to provide pressure-point relief and allow for personal alignment.
Durability: This product comes with a 20-year limited warranty. The warranty covers defects in the fabric cover and foam material as well as defects that come from the workmanship of their product.
Weight Limit: The design of this mattress is adaptable to a smaller or larger body making a “weight limit” a moot point. The mattress design is, however, ideal for side or back sleepers.
Pros and Cons
- The Shea 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress is rated as a #1 Best Seller on Amazon. Very few of the customer reviews on these sites have a negative tone.
- The special SureTemp foam used in the top layer of the mattress has the open cell design that allows for better air circulation. This cooling of the top layer sets it apart from other memory foam mattresses as they heat up quickly with the body heat of the user. This makes them hot and uncomfortable. This is not the case for the Shea Memory Foam Mattress.
- The mattress has been proven to help with proper spinal alignment. This assists in curing normal and more severe cases of back and body aches and pains allowing for a more enjoyable “next day”.
- The product is compress and vacuumed seal in plastic and placed in a tri-layered box (a box made of 3-layers of cardboard). The packaging keeps the mattress safe during shipment so even if some damage occurs to the box, the product remains safe. Once out of the box, the mattress quickly decompresses and is ready for use in a short period of time.
- Once the mattress is removed from the packaging and allowed to fully decompress, the chemical odor that essentially “comes with” the product, dissipates quickly and does not linger.
- Some customers found the mattress to be firmer than they cared for. Most found the solution of pairing the mattress with an additional pillow-top pad/topper to make it feel softer and more comfortable for their needs.
- From what a few customers have said, the lifespan of the mattress quality seems to only be about 3-years. Several stated that after about 2.5-years the mattress began sagging in areas making it uncomfortable to sleep on. Some customers were able to replace the mattress through the warranty – as long as it followed the warranty guidelines.
- Some customers reported that the warranty process was difficult to work with. Several customers amended that once they worked through it, a favorable outcome was provided.
Customers that reviewed the Shea 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress typically reported that the bed was comfortable and comparable to other memory foam mattresses that they had used in the past (Temper-Pedic was among the most referred to as a previous owned mattress). Customers also liked that this mattress was a fraction of the cost in comparison to the other memory foam mattress brands.
Although several customers found the mattress a bit firmer than they were expecting, most found that adding the addition support of a pillow-top mattress pad/topper aided with making it much more comfortable. Though most found the firmer density more supportive of their bodies and that with their continued use they adjusted to the different support.
Several customers found that the “bed in a box” was a neat marketing trick and were excited that the bed decompressed in a short period of time. They liked even more that the chemical odor that typically “comes with” these products quickly dissipated and did not linger.
Our bodies need support as we sleep to better aide us in our busy everyday lives. Most people are sleeping on a mattress that simply isn’t doing this. Finding a mattress that provides your body with support and doesn’t break the bank while doing it, is essential to living a more energized life. The Shea 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress has proven pressure point relief and provide personal alignment to those who use it and is a fraction of the cost of competitive similar brands. This mattress is best recommended to those who sleep on their sides or back making it a great night’s sleep at great price.