The average human being spends a good portion of their day sleeping; eight hours to be precise. This translates to a third of their day which translates to a third of their lifetime. Sleep is, therefore, crucial. It should be of high quality. Is your sleep of good quality? Do you feel adequately rested when you wake up? If the mattress you are sleeping on has inadequate support, the quality of your sleep will be affected. Innerspring mattresses provide adequate support using a steel spring inner coil. Below we discuss factors to consider before purchasing an innerspring mattress.
Pros and Cons of Innerspring Mattresses
- Affordable: Innerspring mattresses are the most popular mattresses in the market today. They have been around for a long time. Their prices have declined steadily over the years. They are relatively cheaper than all other types of mattresses. If you are on a tight budget, this would be the best kind of mattress to go for.
- Long-lasting: The coils in the innerspring mattress are made of steel. Most manufacturers use high-quality steel coils. Coils made of steel are not easily damaged. Therefore, this mattress can be used for very many years. Usually, they can be utilized for about eight years before they have to be replaced.
- Aeration: The coils, which are embedded within, allow for free movement of air. The free flow of air ensures that heat is not retained. Thus, one would not get hot and sweaty at night with this mattress. However if the mattress is topped with foam, then the toppers could affect the mattress’ breathability.
- Support: There are at least three hundred steel coils in a regular size mattress and even more in the queen and king size types. The number of coils ensures that the bed is firm. The firmness provides adequate spinal support. The innerspring mattress is particularly suited for those who sleep on their back or stomach.
- It transfers motion: If two people are sleeping on the innerspring mattress, the movement of one person will be felt by the other person. Movement on one side spreads to the coils. Coils are unable to hold the energy. The energy is spread to the other side of the bed. This energy is felt by the other person as movement.
- Poor contouring: Most innerspring mattresses do not conform to the body shape of the person sleeping on them. This gives it the inability to relieve pressure points. Therefore, people with hip or shoulder problems are significantly disadvantaged by this type of mattress. However, innerspring mattresses whose coils are individually wrapped provide better contouring.
- Affected by Environment: They are easily affected by environmental conditions. Humidity will make it were out easily.
Our Recommendations for Innerspring Mattresses in 2017
With the many brands of innerspring mattresses available in the market, you may find it difficult to select the best one. Before choosing a mattress, however, you must do your research. What better way to know the quality of a mattress than to hear from those who have used it before? With this in mind, we have compiled the five best innerspring mattresses based on customers’ experiences.
1. Sleep Master ICoil 13 Inch Euro Top Spring Mattress
This mattress does not use coils and layers sparingly. It has hundreds of coils at the base covered by a three-inch layer of high-density foam. Soft foam is layered on top as a padding to provide more comfort. All the coils are pocketed making it very firm. The pocketed coils eliminate the transfer of movement from one side of the bed to the other side.
The approval rating for this mattress is very high. Most customers appreciated the firmness and comfort it provided. Customers were also very happy with the price. Thy found it quite affordable compared to other types.
Some customers found the edges too soft. They were not as firm as the center, and one could easily slide when sitting on them. The firmness was also a concern for some customers while others found that it was too firm for their liking.
2. Signature Sleep Signature 13 Inch Independently Encased Coil Mattress
The mattress has coils which are wrapped individually preventing the spread of movement which many of the customers approved. These coils are embedded within foam layers. At the top, a layer of pillow top has been added to increase comfort.
The pillow top maybe be the most significant advantage of this mattress over other similar mattresses. Many customers loved the comfort and plush feeling it accorded. However, some customers found the pillow top layer too thin to provide significant difference.
Customers also liked the firmness and loved the back support. Others thought it was too firm but stated that when they added a foam topper, it was fine. It does not retain heat hence many customers did not suffer from hot sweaty nights. The packaging was also quite creative and made it easy to carry the mattress. Overall, the mattress had very high approval ratings.
3. Brentwood Home Finale 10 Inch Eurotop 3-Zone Wrapped Spring Mattress
This mattress also has its coils specially designed to prevent motion transfer. The wrapping also prevents the noise that commonly ensues from spring mattresses. The firmness is medium which was suitable for some customers. It is made of natural wool. The wool absorbs the moisture and keeps the person sleeping on it cool.
Customers with back problems found this product unsuitable. Its medium firmness caused it to sink and make impressions when they were sleeping. Many complained of waking up with aching and stiff backs after sleeping on this mattress.
Its price was a huge motivating factor for the purchase. Also, the warranty period got a nod from many customers. Users who had had the mattress for about three years were still satisfied with the condition. Most customers also liked that it was made in the US. Overall, the approval rating of the Brentwood was okay.
4. Best Price Mattress 8 Inch Independent Operating iCoil Mattress
Support and great comfort are what this mattress aims to provide. It has many individually wrapped coils that prevent the spread of movement. On top of the coils, there are a sufficient number of layers of coil that provide the right amount of comfort.
Customers with a preference for softer and cooler mattresses liked this one a lot. They reported that it did not retain any heat and was not too hard. Many users appreciated the affordability. They found it to be of better quality than other costly mattresses they had used previously. The support is particularly ideal for people with back problems going by the excellent reviews they gave.
Customers were divided about its durability. Those who had used it for more than two years were not happy by the sagging that occurred in the middle. On the other hand, most reckoned that for such a low price it was durable enough. Those who like their beds bouncy will appreciate this mattress.
5. Classic Brands 8 Inch Advantage Innerspring Mattress
This mattress also has pocket coils and layers of foam. Customers found it comfortable enough. Many users also found it very affordable and of decent quality. They also liked that it could be used with box springs as well as a bed frame. It is more on the softer end so users who prefer firm mattresses would not benefit from this one.
The downside of this mattress is that it has very little support. It sags when an adult of the average weight sits on it. It is therefore not suitable for adults but would do fine with young children especially those below the age of six. Some users found the mattress too thin, however. Due to the thinness, the springs could be felt. It also transfers some motion. The edges were not firm enough for some customers, and they slid off when they sat on them. Overall users found this mattress highly affordable and of good quality but not firm enough.
Innerspring Mattress Buying Guide
Buying a mattress is a lot like buying coffee. It depends on your preferences and needs. What works for one person will not function for another. Innerspring mattresses came in a variety of compositions. All of them have coils. The difference comes in the layers which affect the level of comfort. Some have memory foam in the layers. Others have a quilt or pillow top. Even the quality of the coils is different. Some have individually wrapped coils while others have all the coils wrapped together in a wire. Some have many coils; others have few coils. The type of coil affects the firmness. The type of innerspring mattress you select will entirely depend on your needs. It is not easy to identify the type of innerspring mattress that will work perfectly for you. Below are a few factors that will help you determine the right kind for you.
How do you sleep?
Some people sleep on their sides, others on their backs. A few even sleep on their stomach. Side sleepers would benefit from a mattress that relieves pressure from the pressure point. Back sleepers would appreciate the spinal support. Therefore, a back sleeper might require a firmer innerspring mattress while a side sleeper would need a softer one that contours.
How much do you weigh?
A higher weight equals greater compression of the mattress than a lower weight. Persons who are a bit heavy may feel the springs when they sleep. Therefore, it would be better if they chose a mattress with pillow top. This is usually quite comfortable. If you are light, a pillow top would not be necessary. Foam filled mattress covered in quilt would be suitable for you. Also, the coil gauge preference would be different for the two groups. A thicker coil such as a twelve-gauge one would give more support to a heavier person. Thin coils would provide sufficient support to someone who is lighter.
How long do you want it to last?
The durability of an innerspring mattress is affected by the arrangement of the coils. If the coils are wrapped together, the mattress tends to last longer. It also stays in shape for a longer time. Mattresses with individually wrapped coils will prevent transfer of movement but will usually start to sag after a few years.
Do you have back problems?
People with back problems require very firm support to sleep on. The firmness will depend on the quality of the coil. It will also depend on the type of padding. Soft padding may not be very appropriate for this kind of customer. If you have such problems, you would need to seek guidance from a doctor on the type of mattress suitable for you.
How much are you willing to spend?
Even though these mattresses are cheaper than the other kinds, they also vary in price. A pillow top one could be more expensive that a quilt one. However, if all you desire is comfort regardless of the price, then you have more to choose from.
Our quality of sleep is affected by many factors. The most significant factor, however, is the type of mattress we are sleeping on. Mattresses that offer enough support for the spine and neck and are comfortable provide the highest quality of sleep. Innerspring mattresses have coils embedded within layers of foam to provide sufficient support. They may also have extra padding to give enough comfort. The types of innerspring mattresses are as diverse as the number of manufacturers out there. To find one that will give you excellent service, you must consider many factors. These include your sleeping position, your weight, your budget, the service you want from this mattress as well as how much you have to spend. Innerspring mattresses also have their limitations like their inability to conform to one’s body shape. However, their numerous benefits are the reason why they continue to provide good quality sleep to millions every day.