Getting a good night’s sleep provides benefits that ripple outward for the rest of the day. The wrong mattress can lead to sleep deprivation and back and muscle pain. Fortunately for the consumer, the mattress market is a highly competitive field with a myriad of choices available.
Memory foam mattresses have gained increasing popularity. The latest improvement to the memory foam trend is gel memory foam, designed to be cooler than the traditional memory foam. It is more porous and breathable than earlier generations of foam. The Classic Brands Gramercy 14 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress combines the firmness of an innerspring with the contouring of gel memory foam.
Product Features and Specifications
Materials. The Classic Brands Gramercy 14 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam mattress is constructed in several layers. The top is a 1” layer of polyurethane memory foam infused with gel to regulate temperature. Under this are two layers of foam, ¼” thick and ½” thick. Another 1” layer of gel foam encases the comfort foam. Beneath this are two more layers of comfort foam, 2” and ¾” thick respectively. These layers rest on the base, which contains 768 individual innerspring coils made of 13-gauge steel individually wrapped in fabric.
Sizes. This mattress is available in twin-xl (39”x80”, 71 lbs.); queen (60”x80”, 106 lbs.), king (76”x80”, 122 lbs.), and California king size (72”x84”, 128 lbs.).
Thickness. The overall thickness for all sizes is 14”.
Durability. The mattress comes with a 10-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. Consumers do not have to worry that it will sag or become misshapen.
Comfort. The bed is medium firmness. Because of the foam, the mattress will conform to your shape as you move. The pillow top is plush but firmly supported by the innerspring. The gel foam keeps sleepers cool and comfortable throughout the night.
Shipping. The mattress ships tightly compressed but quickly regains its shape when opened. Classic Brands reduces its carbon footprint by using Smart Packaging. Since the mattresses tend to be heavy, it is recommended that more than one person help carry it and set it up.
Testing. The foam used in this mattress is CertiPUR-US certified. This is a testing and verification process Classic Brands voluntarily submitted to in order to verify the safety, content, and quality of its polyurethane.
Weight. This mattress holds up to 350 lbs.
Bed type. The Gramercy 14 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam mattress may be used with a box spring or platform. The platform is recommended to support the edges and allow the mattress to breathe.
Pros and Cons
- This mattress is less expensive than many comparable mattresses and is CertiPUR-US certified. Consumers can appreciate the quality and price and know they have made a wise choice.
- The gel foam is specially designed to disperse body heat for a cool night’s sleep. It also slowly contours to your body, allowing maximum support of all pressure points evenly and consistently.
- The mattress successfully absorbs movement, so one partner will not disturb the other when getting in and out of bed or turning over.
- The innerspring coils are separately pocketed to provide flexible firmness throughout the night, ensuring consistent support throughout the entire mattress. Like the gel foam, the innersprings help cushion the body so joints and limbs receive the care they need.
- The mattress arrives tightly coiled in a strong box which makes going up stairs or around corners easier. Even narrow hallways or turns will not be a problem. Setup is easy once the mattress is in the room where it will be housed.
- Shipping is generally fast via Fed Ex or UPS and customer service is responsive to questions and comments. The 10-year warranty ensures that the mattress will retain its quality for an entire decade.
- Because of the plush top and layered construction, the mattress cannot be flipped. However, some consumers noted that rotating it worked fine; the mattress did not lose its shape.
- When unpacked, the mattress requires an average of 48 hours to inflate fully. Some consumers said the process took much longer; others reported that it took less than 24 hours.
- A few customers who had access to two mattresses expressed concern that there was inconsistency in the firmness from one mattress to another, but the majority of the reviewers rated it in the medium-firmness range.
- There is a smell when one first takes the mattress out of its packaging, but customers reported that it faded in about 24 hours.
Verified customers who reviewed this mattress gave it extremely positive reviews overall. Many praised its comfort and price. A few people were surprised at the speed and force with which the mattress sprang open and offered a caution to keep breakables out of the area when setting up the bed. Several people noted an odor when the mattress was first opened, but this dissipated within 24 hours on average. There were some who felt the edges and corners sagged, but a platform underneath the mattress appeared to solve this problem. On rare occasions when a mattress appeared to be defective, customer service was helpful and quick to respond. Many consumers said they would purchase this mattress again and had already recommended it to friends and family.
The Classic Brands Gramercy 14 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress offers quality construction, a comfortable sleep surface, and a 10-year warranty for an affordable price. The combination of innersprings supporting the foam gives the mattress firm consistency and the pillow top offers comforting plush. Early foam mattresses were often hot to sleep in; the gel foam in this mattress takes care of that problem. We are happy to recommend this mattress as a good purchase for those who want a medium-firm memory foam mattress yet still desire the movement and support of innersprings.